Friday, August 2, 2024

Guest Blogger: J. Henry Tate

 Welcome author J. Henry Tate to our blog today.





Q: Tell us about your new book.

A: Echoes of Betrayal: Protocol Clean Slate is a thrilling mystery/espionage novel inspired by my experiences as a private investigator. It follows Jack Campbell, an Alabama-based African American P.I., who gets entangled in a deadly international espionage ring after his best friend and boss is shot. The novel blends suspense, complex characters, ethical dilemmas, and unexpected twists, keeping readers on the edge of their seats until the very last page.

Q: How do we find out about you and your book? 

A: My website: https://jhenrytate.weebly.com/ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=j.%20henry%20tate LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/john-h-tate-48719612/ “X”: https://x.com/jhtate5340

Q: How much of your personality and life experiences are in your writing?

A: A significant portion of my personality and life experiences is woven into my writing. My career as a private investigator provided a wealth of real-life scenarios and ethical dilemmas that enriched the plot and character development in Echoes of Betrayal: Protocol Clean Slate.

Q: When did you first think about writing and what prompted you to submit your first MS?

A: In college my English Comp 102 instructor asked me to see her after class. I was ready for the “You have to do better” speech.

Instead, she asked me to write for the college newspaper, the Vox Populi.

“What!” I said, “I am confused. Whenever you return my graded papers, they all look like you had cut your wrist and bled on them.

She laughed and said, “John, all of your issues are technical; however, your ability to put words together is a true gift.”

I wrote for the college newspaper, “Vox Populi,” for the rest of the school year. After college, I had stories published in local community papers and area Magazines. My first novel, “Echoes of Betrayal: Protocol Clean Slate” was inspired by the true life experiences I had as a private investigator.

Q: Do you have a set schedule for writing or do you just go with the flow?

A: I try to maintain a flexible writing routine. While I don't adhere to a strict schedule, I aim to write consistently and ensure I make progress each day.

Q: What about your family, do they know not to bother you when you are writing - or are there constant interruptions?

A: Only my lovely wife and I are home now. I write with the door to my office open, or just partly closed when I am really deep. I found she disturbs me less when she feels full access.

Q: Where do your ideas come from?

A: My ideas come from everyday life. Real-world events provide the best inspiration and believable stories.

Q: Do you feel humor is important in books and why?

A: Absolutely. Humor is an essential part of life, and incorporating it into books makes the characters more relatable and the story more enjoyable.

Q: What kind of research do you do?

A: As needed – I don’t seek to become a subject matter expert. So, I research just what I need for a scene or plot line.

Q: Please tell us about yourself.

A: I present myself confidently, which has allowed me to work in various management roles and run my own business. Despite my confident exterior, I am always striving to improve and learn.

Q: What are some of your favorite things to do?

A: I love watching movies with my wife, sitting under the gazebo on our deck enjoying nature.

Q: Who are some of your other favorite authors to read?

A: I listen to audiobooks mostly, however, some of my favorite authors are – Lee Child, Mark Dawson, john Grisham, and Cindy Dees (I just found her.)

Q: What do you think of critique groups in general?

A: Critique groups can be a mixed bag. They can provide valuable feedback, but it's important to develop a thick skin and differentiate between constructive criticism and negativity.

Q: How many books have you written, and how many have been published?

A: “Echoes of Betrayal: Protocol Clean Slate” is my first completed and published manuscript.

Q: Where do you see yourself in five years?

A: Hopefully I will be a well-known author, with the Jack Campbell series at the top of the best-seller list.

Q; What is the most rewarding thing about writing?

A: Having other people desiring to read my writing.

Q: What is your greatest desire?

A: For my wife to enjoy a level of comfort, in our golden age, beyond anything she could have dreamed of.

Q: Are there any words of encouragement for unpublished writers?

A: Get your story down on paper the way you want to tell it. Then pay attention and listen to people, they will tell you how they want to read it. Write with the intent of improving with each page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Guest Blogger: Raleigh Keegan

  Welcome Raleigh Keegan to our blog today! Follow Raleigh Keegan on Twitter! @raleighkeegan Check out his music here